The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio began in 1959 when the Fifty-Sixth Texas Legislature authorized a medical school, originally named South Texas Medical School. After heated debate, a site on the periphery of the city rather than downtown was chosen. The Joe J. Nix Dairy Farm, which was a 100 acre wide expanse of grazing land, cattle pens, milking barns and silos to store cattle feed, was conveyed to the State of Texas to build a School of Medicine. In 1966, G.W. Mitchell & Sons was selected for construction of the school for $10, 038,739. The 450,000 square foot medical school building, designed by Phelps Dewees Simmons, was completed in 1968. In July of 1968, the South Texas Medical School was dedicated and opened their doors to its first class of 104 students. Today, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is one of the country’s leading health sciences universities, ranking in the top 3 percent of all institutions worldwide receiving federal funding. Although additional buildings have been added to the campus, the original medical school building built by G.W. Mitchell & Sons still serves as home to the university’s schools of medicine, nursing, dentistry, health professions and graduate biomedical sciences and has produced approximately 28,000 graduates in less than half a decade.